Thursday, June 19, 2008

Poem by Rick Campbell

Heart

My heart was suspect.
Wired to an EKG,
I walked a treadmill
that measured my ebb
and flow, tracked isotopes
that ploughed my veins,
looked for a constancy
I've hardly ever found.
For a month I worried
as I climbed the stairs
to my office. The mortality
I never believed in
was here now. They
say my heart's ok,
just high cholesterol, but
I know my heart's a house
someone has broken into,
a room you come back
to and know some stranger
with bad intent has been there
and touched all that you love. You know
he can come back. It's his call,
his house now.

1 comment:

K.C. said...

Just popping in and read this poem. That is a tough one. Can only imagine how he must have felt when writing this one.

Knowing that he was living with the fear... very, very powerful.. Kayce