Monday, May 7, 2007

A Two-Parter

Today's a two-parter:

PART ONE
I have a conflict tomorrow night: American Idol or James D. Houston? Most respectable writers would never admit to such a conflict, but I've never been accused of being respectable.

Will I watch the 3 Divas battle it out with the beat-boxing white dude? Or will I listen to James Houston talk about his new novel, Bird of Another Heaven--a novel that I've been looking forward to even since Jim told me about it when he was a visting professor last year at the university where I teach? One aspect of the novel is the take-over of Hawaii by the U.S., and it's set partially in San Francisco. I'm intrigued, especially since my mom was born in S.F. and lived in Hawaii before it was a U.S. state. I want to get a signed copies for her and for me.

Am I willing to sacrifice my Idol addiction for my literary lust?

To complicate matters, I don't have a VCR or Tivo.

To complicate matters further, BARRY GIBB will be on Idol tomorrow. Oh. My. God. I spent too many hours wearing out the grooves in my Bee Gees albums to miss out on BARRY GIBB.

Stay tuned.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

PART TWO
These very short poems/sections from "Images" by Bert Meyers remind me of the power of brevity.

And like good poetry and art can do so well, they help me to see the world.

-----------------------------------

Bales of hay--cartons
of sunlight fading in a field.

. . .

Shadows rise like water,
white fences comb their hair.

. . .

Leaves everywhere--
shreds of a giant eraser;
an oak leaf
becoming an antique.

. . .

Outside, a snowfall's passed
and painted all the windowsills,
even the curb's gray putty.

. . .

Sunlight in a window--
a flower in a glass.

. . .


After the rain
a streetlight hangs
the shadow of trees
like laundry
on a wall.

3 comments:

Talia Reed said...

Beautiful excerpts...you'd better do the "right" thing.

(And I'll admit to liking Desperate Housewives--there, I've said it!)

Anonymous said...

idol!?!?!?

Kate Evans said...

The RIGHT thing. Hm. We shall see what that is!